Friday, April 5, 2013

Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome ... It Happens!

Abdominal Cramps, OHSS
www.amsj.org


I apologize for the delay on this post. It has now been a few weeks since my post egg retrieval procedure and I can safely say that I am 100% back to normal with my hormones and body. The bloating has now subsided and I only have my laziness to blame for my muffin top and lack of six pack abs. I do want to address a serious topic that is rarely talked about at the doctor's office when considering the egg freezing process: Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome. There are different levels of it, and it happens more often than some doctors surmise. I have heard that OHSS impacts at a mild / moderate level about 15 - 25% of all egg retrieval patients. I was in that % that got it and for a period of 24 hours I thought I might die and was immobile. I could only go back and forth to the bathroom and was in extreme abdominal pain and looked about three months pregnant. I went from being constipated to having the runs. Gatorade and Immodium were my saviors.

The symptoms and formal definition of OHSS is described below.  Click here to read more.



ovaries before and after stimulation
Before Ovarian Stimulation and Post
According to the ASRM, “ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) is an exaggerated response to ovulation induction therapy. OHSS is a self-limiting disorder that usually resolves spontaneously within several days, but may persist for longer durations.”[1]
1) Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) typically occurs as a result of taking hormone medications that stimulate egg development in a woman's ovaries.
2) Approximately one quarter of women who take hyperstimulation medication get a mild form of OHSS.
3) OHSS is classified into 3 categories: mild, moderate, and severe. Mild symptoms include bloating, nausea, diarrhea, and weight gain. In addition to the mild symptoms, moderate symptoms include excessive weight gain (greater than 2 pounds/day), vomiting, diarrhea, and dark urine. Severe symptoms can include shortness of breath, urination cessation, calf and chest pains, and abdominal distention.
4) Mild and moderate OHSS is treated on an outpatient basis with bed rest, fluids, and lab work to monitor electrolytes and blood counts. Ultrasound may be used to monitor the size of ovarian follicles. In severe cases, aspiration of accumulated fluid from the abdominal cavity may be necessary. 

To see the rest of the information on OHSS, please visit Eggsurance's webpage on 
10 Things You Didn't Know about Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome

Who is most at risk of getting OHSS?


Factors that increase the risk of developing OHSS include:
  • Polycystic ovary syndrome — a common reproductive disorder that causes irregular menstrual periods, excess hair growth and unusual appearance of the ovaries on ultrasound examination
  • Large number of follicles
  • Young age
  • Low body weight
  • High or steeply increasing level of estradiol (estrogen) before an HCG shot (Mine was over 4000 pg/ml on day 13 of stimulation)
  • Previous episodes of OHSS
  • Migraine headache
  • Becoming pregnant with multiple babies at one time
Young women with polycystic ovary syndrome who have many follicles are at highest risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. But knowing these risk factors doesn't predict exactly who will get OHSS, and sometimes the syndrome affects women with no risk factors.

Gatorade and OHSS

To better prepare for the possible effects of OHSS, have a bunch of electrolyte packed juices, such as Gatorade or Vitamin waters, Immodium and a natural type of laxative. Have a lot of protein like chicken or steaks cooked and ready to eat. They say that salt and protein help with the healing and abdominal cramping. I can't tell you the scientific reasoning for this. I only know that for me, time, immodium, and Gatorade saved me. I also did not drink any alcohol for a couple of days. I would highly recommend getting a heating pad too. I would also not plan to do too many events the weekend after your egg retrieval. Lay low.

Although I had a semi-tough recovery, I have no regrets. I would do it again, but with my Gatorade and Immodium by my side.

Written by : Sam K. 






2 comments:

  1. As more women are waiting longer to have children, egg freezing is becoming more relevant and in demand as many women are facing the real challenge of having successful, healthy pregnancies later in life.

    Egg Freezing Cost(s)

    ReplyDelete
  2. danazol 200 mg is used to treat various menstrual problems including painful or irregular periods, premenstrual tension , benign fibrocystic breast disease, and a condition called endometriosis.

    ReplyDelete