Monday, March 18, 2013

The Ovidrel Shot .. Yuck! (Make Me Ovulate)

Written by: Sam K.     E-mail: Eggfreezing101@gmail.com 

It should actually be given in your
stomach area or upper thigh!

My RE doctor decided to stimulate me for one more day and had me trigger on day 14. My estrogen must have been at least 4500 by the trigger shot time. I was prescribed one pre-filled dosage of Ovidrel to take at exactly 35 hours and 30 minutes before my egg retrieval time. On day 13 of stimulations, the bloodwork showed my estrogen was 3955. I had to trust my doctors that they knew what was best for me and one more day of injections would not make too many of my eggs over mature  My goal was to get enough good quality eggs in the bank for a future baby down the line, not to implant an embryo a few days after the egg retrieval. Therefore, I was predicted to not be at major risk of major OHSS (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome).

An aside on weight gain during the egg freezing process ... everyone responds differently. However, there is a general consensus that you will temporarily gain about 5 pounds throughout the two plus weeks of shots and egg retrieval time. I gained only two pounds on the scale during the injections. I will update on the entire weight gain later.

I planned my Sunday evening around the shot. I went to a documentary movie that got out at exactly 9:30. I wanted to be home in time for my prep work for the shot and for any unexpected surprises. I kept the Ovidrel in the refrigerator the entire two weeks. I took it out 15 minutes prior to the shot. No mixing anymore. Yeah! The HCG injection was easy. The aftermath was not. About an hour and a 1/2 later, my stomach started feeling queasy and I had to run to the bathroom. Initially I thought it would go away. No, I spent 1/2 the night up with diarrhea and abdominal cramps. I hate to be so graphic, but I promised full disclosure of my experience and I am not leaving anything out. I finally took Immodium and within 20 minutes, the symptoms subsided and I felt better.  I woke up feeling sluggish and a little forgetful. My doctor assured me that everything was normal and the back end release was one on the side effects. I could not have been more excited / nervous for egg retrieval day.

I slept really well the night before.  Finally, egg retrieval scheduled at 10:15 AM for the next morning. I am ready. My lower area did feel heavy, but I did not feel incredibly bloated yet.

Here is a video on how to inject the Ovidrel shot for Newbies. Good luck!

Written by: Sam K. 


1 comment:

  1. Egg freezing can be used for two indication, medical (fertility preservation in women diagnosed with a disease that may impact future fertility) or social (extension of fertility beyond the reproductive lifespan in women delaying conception).

    Egg Freezing Cost(s)

    ReplyDelete